Thursday, May 22, 2008

More Trip Pics: I'll Stop After This - Maybe









This is the town of Erice (pronounced air-reese-A) located on the top of Mt.Erice. The town served largely as a defensive look-out post through out Sicily's history. Facing westward across the Mediterranean Sea, civilians in Erice were able to spot Greeks and other assholes looking to pillage approaching by ship. Today, the town though seemingly inhabited by ghosts, holds a healthy population of Mountain People who appear never to leave the great hill and rely almost solely upon the tourist industry (once again) for income. This town is HIGH! This is where you should go to get over your fear of heights. Watching this group of Italian teenagers look over the edge of the fort made my stomach rise into my throat and form a knot. There wasn't much in the way of railings, if you know what I mean. The whole time I was like, Where is their chaperon?? JESUS!

No comments: