Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Taormina


















Taormina is a small town perched regally upon a cliff in Mt. Etna's shadow. This is no off-the-beaten-path, newly discovered Shangri La. It is in fact, just the opposite: a bonafide, postcard-peddaling tourist ghetto. However, among many of its charming attributes are a Roman ampitheater, vistas of Mt. Etna and Italy (on a clear day) and millions of menus listing sicilian specialties such as pulpo salad. I immediately fell right into the swing of things developing a highly suspect, blotchy sun burn and toting my camera in the most convenient possible way: around my neck. If I had to rate myself on the tourist scale however; I would have only earned a five as my zinc-nosed attempts at sight-seeing were completely overshadowed by those of the tour buses pouring daily into town, like fat catepillars dropping their eager passengers at Taormina's gates. Like locusts, the international rainbow of picturing-taking, gelato-eating, visor-buying visitors swarmed the town's ancient labyrinth of streets, leaving it barren and gray each evening. That being said, this town truly has some of the most old-world charm I have ever encountered. Anyone who likes fresh italian food, sun and beauty as far as the eye can see and has a tolerance for hords of Lonely Planet devotees, must add Taormina to their 'must see' list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum

Anonymous said...

wow f---ing incredible pfotographs! you have a fine eye for color that has kept me highly entertained during my wait for my eye exam.
luv,
timmy