Friday, June 5, 2009

Its Music Video Friday!!!


I feel like I can't go fifty feet without hearing a Kobe V. Lebron debate. At the oatmeal bar at Delmonico just now, one guy argued that Lebron just didn't have the same sort of heart as Kobe and that was keeping him from being the one with the most.

Ryan McGaffigan (follow him on Twitter!) would say that's debatable. Last night he told me that when Lebron was on the Redeem Team with Kobe, he witnessed what it took to be the magic that is Kobe Bryant - all the situps, the push-ups, the free throws, etc - AND HE WENT HOME TO CLEVELAND AND DID KOBE'S ROUTINE TEN TIMES HARDER AND MORE BADASS. Ergo Lebron is hot, Kobe is not.

I think the jury is still out on this one, and I bet it will continue until the Lakers have swept the Magic and we will have no choice but to stop talking NBA and focus our energies on football season. I carry a torch for all things Cleveland because thats where my favorite band comes from, if you can call Bone Thugs In Harmony a band. Also, I don't want Forbes to beat me up, been there done that. So Lebron is better than Kobe.

3 comments:

ryan said...

To quote bill simmons.

Let's send 2006 Kobe or 2009 LeBron back to 1993 in a time machine. Suddenly, Jordan can't walk away, because he would look scared. More importantly, he wouldn't want to walk away because, deep down, he'd know that those guys would bring the best out of him. In my book, I make the point that we spent so many years searching for an archrival for Jordan -- the Frazier to his Ali, someone who'd bring the best out of him -- when really, that player was Lenny Bias, and one cocaine binge ruined what should have been a fierce rivalry. Of the incoming NBA stars from 1984-90, only Bias possessed the talent and swagger to stand up to MJ in his prime. (Hold on, I'm going to punch the wall behind me. Give me a second. OWWWWWWWW! OK, I'm back.) By contrast, remember what happened to LeBron last summer during the Redeem Team practices? He watched Kobe getting up at 6 a.m. every day to train for three grueling hours, then said to himself, "All right, this guy works harder than me. I need to step it up." And he did. And that exposure had a profound effect on his career, just like every splendid Michael Lewis story probably keeps you on your toes. If Kobe dropped dead of a cocaine overdose eight years ago, does LeBron have that epiphany? Maybe not. You can become great without the help of someone else, but you can't stay great without someone pushing you. Golf excepted, of course.

Kea said...

"If Kobe dropped dead of a cocaine overdose eight years ago, does LeBron have that epiphany? Maybe not. You can become great without the help of someone else, but you can't stay great without someone pushing you."

i think you just used economic theory to explain the kobe/lebron rivalry.

John said...

Kobe is basically a rapist, plus he never smiles. I'm boycotting the finals because I hate seeing him scowling all the time.

I never would have expected any detailed NBA discussion on here Kea, NICE ONE!!